The ActTrader platform is the proprietary forex trading platform used by forex brokers such as Ava Financial Limited and is usually marketed by forex brokers in different names. There are several versions of this platform available. Different brokers that use ActTrader may provide their traders with some or all of them. The versions are:
- A downloadable desktop client. The executable file must be downloaded (2.6MB in size), then used to download the full version of the software (about 6MB in size) while connected to the internet
- ActTrader web/browse based version which runs on JAVA
- ActTrader iPhone and iPad versions
- ActTrader Android-based devices
- There is also a Windows-based mobile version that runs on Symbian phones
The variety in versions of the ActTrader available for use by traders has served to introduce trading flexibility, unlike the situation pre-2007 when traders were stuck with trading from their desktops and laptops.
Accessing the ActTrader Platform
Depending on the broker on whose site you register your demo account on, you will be sent an email containing your username and password for login. You will also be sent a link with which to either download the desktop client, or access the web-based platform. You will also be given directions on how to download the ActTrader app on your iPhone, iPad or Android-based device.
For the purpose of this article, we will use the web-based trader for our illustration.
ActTrader Login Interface
The login interface looks like this:
The web-based version runs on Java and you must have the latest version of the Java software installed on your computer. When you have successfully logged in, you will see the trading platform on your screen.
On the top of the screen, the trader’s account number, trading account balance, equity, usable margin as well as net profit/loss are clearly visible on the screen. On the left side is the main navigation menu. It has the following buttons:
- Trading: for initiating orders
- Catalog: this displays all the tradable currencies and instruments on the platform
- Options: this enables the trader to trade options
- Chart: used to open the currency pair charts
- Windows: is used to open pop-ups displaying information such as closed positions, open positions, pending orders, etc
- Layout: can be used to change the layout of the screen
- Info: this gives the trader access to live news and the squawk box analyses
Placing/Opening Orders on ActTrader Platform
There are six types of orders can be opened on the ActTrader. These are:
- Entry Buy Stop
- Entry Sell Stop
- Entry Buy Limit
- Entry Sell Limit
- Market Buy
- Market sell
Market Orders Procedure – ActTrader
- Click on “Trading” button on the top left corner of the trading platform screen. This opens up a menu on which you can select “Buy” or “Sell”. Alternatively, you can click on either “Sell” or “Buy” against the currency you want to trade as illustrated below:
- Check the boxes marked “Preset Stop” and “Preset Limit” to get the ability to set your stop loss and take profit levels before you enter the trade. You can also change the currency pair from this pop-up by clicking the down arrow on the “Instrument” tab (see screenshot above)
- Enter the stop loss and take profit levels as appropriate
- Click on the “OK” button to execute the order
Accessing Pending Orders on ActTrader
Click on “Trading” at the top left corner of the screen.
- You will see a small pop-up asking you if the currency pair is the one you want to trade. If yes, click OK. If not, select it from the drop-down menu and click OK
- Then click on any of the pending order types, depending on what you want to do
- In the pop-up that follows, enter your preferred entry price, and set the stop loss and take profit as already described. Then click “OK” when you are done
Modifying Stop Loss/Take Profit on Active Orders
There are two ways to modify your Stop Loss or Take Profit on any open/active orders on the ActTrader as follows:
- Click on Windows->Open Positions to display all open positions
- Right-click on the open position and select “Limit” to adjust the TP, and “Stop” to adjust the stop loss. Once the pop-up opens, adjust your take profit and stop loss levels as you wish
- Alternatively, you can click on Trading->Limit or Stop. The pop-up opens and you can adjust the TP and SL as you wish
Opening New Orders on ActTrader
- Click on chartsNew chart
- Then select the currency pair whose chart you want to open, and the time frame of the chart. Then click OK. The chart will open
- You can then enlarge or shrink the charts using the maximize/minimize button on the chart window
How to choose Indicators on ActTrader Platform
To be able to select indicators on the ActTrader platform, you must have an active chart open.
- Open the chart as described above, and maximize it using the appropriate button on the chart window
- Right click on the chart->click on setup indicators. A pop-up will open
- Scroll through the list of indicators and select the one you want by clicking on it once
- Next, you will see a sequence of arrows: click on the to move the indicator into the “selected indicators” column
- The indicator settings will also appear on the 3rd part of the same pop-up. Adjust your indicator settings as you wish. Then click OK
The indicator will attach to your chart automatically. If you change your mind and want to remove the indicator at this stage, click the . Then select the correct indicator by going through the process once more. The chart window also has other function buttons on top; the zoom tools, chart type (bar chart, candlesticks, etc). You can also open a new chart by clicking the hand figure on the top left of the chart window.
ActTrader – Selecting Chart Time Frames
This has been dealt with under “Opening a New Chart”. You can go through that process or you can click the hand figure on the top left of the chart window to select a new time frame. These are the most commonly used functions on the ActTrader platform. 90% of trader activity is centered around these functions.